Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I do not think there is a trunkier piece of mail

Guess what came in the mail last week? My death letter.

(Death letter: A missionary term referring to a letter that is typically sent to a missionary who has 6 months remaining. It consists of a reminder that the mission is winding down, along with a request not to get trunkie -- the actual term used in the letter -- and to instead sprint to the finish line and work hard. It also includes some paperwork asking about flights home and what airport we want to go to and if we want our parents to remember about us and pick us up.)

There is nothing like a death letter to get one's head OFF of missionary subjects. I think I am recovering well and doing okay by simply forgetting about it and continuing on, but now sometimes when I look at a store and see something interesting a small voice whispers, "Hey, would that fit in my suitcase?" Still, I still have 6 blooming months. That's a long time, so whenever that small voice suggests souvenirs I can still strangle it down.

Today my companion and I went with a good friend we made in the ward to the temple. It was an absolute blast, and afterward we celebrated with Mexican food in a restaurant that does pretty passable fajitas. Since this member was the one who initially introduced my companion to Mexican, and since this is her last week in this area (90% sure as it's her first area and it's been 6 months. Oh, and the President already told us) we simply had to celebrate.

The temple itself was amazing, as usual. It has been far too long since my last visit, and I was very grateful to be able to afford to go. It was a bit humbling to consider the Saints who sacrifice much much more for the same experience. I doubt I shall take the temple for granted again. It truly is heavenly.

Next week is transfers, and many people I know are going home, some of whom are going home rather unexpectedly -- I did not realize how old they were! I shall miss these missionaries a lot and I am glad I have a chance to say goodbye at transfers before they go. Next week I may well be in a new area, although again, I'm 90% sure that I will stay right here, so I will write again -- same time, same place.

Did I mention the awesome Sister who had a great experience and decided she needed to come back to church? She came back to church. It had been about 7 years since her last visit. She enjoyed it, but said it also hurt a little; she felt sorry she had been away so long. We hope she will be able to come back next week and every week; she really has changed into a brighter happier person since we started meeting with her.

And she gave us awesome mini-hats to commemorate her return. I wish I could upload pictures, they are so cute. They are about the size of a mini-CD and clip into your hair. She also told us how to make them.

This weekend we also had a BBQ. That was fun with a few bad-drama-cheesy-twists. That is a story for another day. The BBQ itself and the ward were both really wonderful.

It continues unbearably hot and we are trying to find various measures to ensure that we are not outside between 11:30 am and 4:30 pm. Seriously, people are collapsing and little children are dying in Osaka* (or so I hear. I do not actually have access to the news, so I have to go off of what people say). It is HOT.

I am gonna go now. I don't have much fantastic news...I still don't like humidity, I am still attractive to bugs, I still have a dendou baby** and the world is still big and missionary work still awesome. Love you all and thank you for your prayers.

*Presumably from being forgotten in cars. I can't believe it's boiling-blood hot just from the sun.

**Pot gut. Lots of Japanese missionaries get 'em. It's because we only use our bikes, and that doesn't work the stomach much at all, so if you don't do ab workouts in your morning exercises you are DOOMED.

P.S. I forgot to mention the big earthquake! There was a big earthquake!

Well, in terms of earthquakes it was pretty small. I mean, nothing even fell over, but it was big enough to wake both me and my Japanese companion (who sleeps through anything), and it felt like we were riding in the back of a truck on a bumpy road.

Our room is totally not earthquake prepped. There are no nearby doorways and the outside wall is entirely glass. I shall simply have to rely on faith and the Holy Ghost should a larger earthquake decide to hit Tokyo/Chiba.

Also? I love studying Japanese poetry. I found a hilarious one the other day. Nestled between an ode to snow and a description of summer is a beautiful poem lamenting that an ex-girlfriend hasn't yet been punished by divine will. It was gut-bustingly surprising and I love it.