Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everyone! I hope this holiday finds you safe and well. I truly hope you enjoy the season, and never forget the reason!

I'm afraid this is one of those "no time" weeks, so I shall simply give a few brief notes that I really wanted to mention:

Firstly, to my friends, thank you so much for writing and also wishing me a Merry Christmas. Especially to Eve and to Liz -- I fully intend to write you thank you cards and letters and such but your addresses have gone missing in the abyss of my desk. It's weird, sorry. If you don't hear from me, know that it's lack of postage information, not lack of love, and that you shall hear from me later.

Secondly, I heard that the Provo Tabernacle burned down. That is incredibly sad and I am sorry to hear it. I really loved that building, and I can't imagine it being gone. I...I have nothing more to say about that. It's just sad.

Third, this is the last blog post of the year! Japan celebrates New Year's in style; they may devote more dedication to it than we devote to Christmas. At least, it seems that way...all public buildings are shut down for a week -- the library where I write these blog posts will be shut down from December 27th until roughly January 5th, so no blog or electronic contact next week. I would offer to write letters, but the postal service shuts down as well. I would offer to buy you souvenirs, but the banks and ATMs shut down, too! New Year's can actually be a little scary for new missionaries if they are unprepared -- if you didn't withdraw/reserve money before everything shuts down, you have NO WAY to access it for over a month. Hope the pantry is stocked!

I exaggerate slightly, but not as much as you'd think. It's pretty crazy. Shibuya was still in business because it's Shibuya (that was where I spent last New Year's) but Kofu is a whole 'nother story, and I suspect we shall witness 4 days of soulless streets.

So everyone please have a Merry Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Enjoy this time and remind loved ones just how much you love them. Speaking of which, 愛しています!