Saturday, October 17, 2009

Excerpts from C's letter to Mom

Mom,

I have no e-mail because I have no computer. I have no computer because I can't leave this motel-like room. I can't leave because I've been quarantined. I've been quarantined because I have somehow contracted swine flu.

Sigh.

Basically, I have the only legitimate excuse to skip class and sleep all day. As this will most likely not come up for another 18 months, I am making the most of it. I am free and welcome to do whatever I like so long as I do not leave the room. As this is the MTC, that means I can either watch church videos, read the scriptures or write to my dear parents.

We get four visitors daily. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and the Doctor. Security brings the meals. If we need anything we ask; otherwise we wait until the next visitor.

What follows is a rant about the MTC food. The meal plans are clearly aimed at getting 19 year-old boys to clean their plates. With rare exceptions, I've been eating a vegetarian diet since coming here. Since every single choice has meat in it, this can be tricky, but is well worth it. Fruit, salads, water and milk have gotten me through. However, in quarantine you don't have choices. They bring you your meal. It is always something hot, a drink, and a dessert, with the occasional side. Now remember I said these meals are aimed at 19-year-old boys? We get fruit, bacon, sausage, and donuts (five! (5!) Who eats that many!) for breakfast, with soda and chocolate milk.

Lunch was cheese steak, nacho cheese chips, and feta cheese salad. Dinner looks good tonight, actually. Stir-fry, rice, egg-rolls. Again, soda to drink. And juice.

If I wasn't careful. this is what I'd eat every day. Can you imagine? Yuck.

This room is nice though. It's like a very cheap but clean motel room.

Mom's Note: Breaking news - C. is out of quarantine. She was allowed to call her family last night. She will be leaving for Japan on Monday morning at some ridiculously early hour.