Monday, November 8, 2010

I LOVE AUTUMN SO MUCH

Thank you so much to everyone who is trying to help my Spanish, I appreciate it immensely! It's been a great week in the mission, and I would love to tell you a few highlights. I need to write down the rest in my journal, but first I need to find some time to write...

By the way, the Bishop tells me that the mountain in the opening credit to Paramount Picture films is a mountain in SLC. Is that true? He isn't sure but we are now both curious.

This last week we have been working with members quite a bit. We went to the temple with our Ward last Saturday. It was very rewarding. There was a new member and it was her first time to the temple, so we were able to attend as well in order to go with her. She absolutely loved the experience. While there, she requested that everyone pray that her friend (who we are teaching right now) would get permission from her parents to get baptized. Up until this point her parents were not in favor of the idea and requested that she not be involved with our church to that point. She was all in favor of getting baptized but feared being separated from her family in any way, so we had hit a bit of a roadblock. Well, that very same evening she got a call from her parents telling her it was okay! So we have an excited investigator who is willing to hear the discussions again and take them seriously, and we all have a greater testimony on the power of prayer. That, needless to say, was a very good day.

The next day (Sunday) some members offered to give us a ride to Tsuru, a town which is pretty far from Kofu. The ride takes about 80 minutes by car and involves going over under and through quite a few mountains, so we were very glad not to have to go by bike. While in Tsuru we were able to meet with some old investigators and friends of members and really revitalized interest in learning spiritual things (missionaries used to bike there, but that died out a year or two ago, apparently. I could find no record of activity in Tsuru in the apartment records, so I had no idea). Many asked to meet with us again, so we are thoroughly excited, and the members were absolutely thrilled. We have already set up a few times next week to go back to Tsuru, and members are also asking us to visit their families as well. I haven't ridden a car this much in a long time. I think I may becoming a touch car sick, but I will gladly put up with it/ignore it--the payback is more than worthwhile!

Oh, also on that ride to Tsuru we discovered something amazing. Tsuru is closer to Mt. Fuji than Kofu. The members offered to pull over at a particularly nice spot while we were headed into town, and we agreed, as the car was getting a bit overheated and needed a break anyway. We pulled over and hopped out of the car. I didn't notice anything different and I was prepared to see the mountain slightly closer when I turned around and THERE was Mt. Fuji. It was HUGE! I have about 4 dozen pictures that simply do no justice, but if you have seen any postcards with that towering mountain with clouds creating a slight fog heading halfway up the summit and a lake stretched out below the base, then you have seen something half as beautiful as that view. It helped that Fuji is starting to get his iconic snow, and the leaves were changing color fantastically all around us.

Leaves changing color is my favorite sight in the world, and when the members heard that they stared at me and asked, "Have you ever been to Japan in Spring?"

"Yes. And the cherry blossoms are very beautiful, but to me this sight is better."

The two Sisters ferrying us looked at each other after that and then, in unspoken agreement, they took a brief detour. Apparently there is a very famous scenic road about 5 minutes out of the way that is COVERED in momiji trees (momiji=...maple?) and has the best view of Mt. Fuji and the iconic lake. I was trying very hard not to squeal with delight the entire time we were on that road. While I was snapping away and thoroughly enjoying the sights as we drove along, the two Sisters in front commented, "Wow, you really learn to appreciate all the normal stuff in your neighborhood when someone else reacts with such joy! We should come this way more often!"

Yes, and when I get back to Utah I REALLY need to go visit SLC Temple. :)

Anyway, I love autumn a little more, and I can sorta understand why Japanese people are so proud of Mt. Fuji. It really is an impressive sight.

On other thing I noticed on that drive that was a little more strange to me was the trees that lined the streets in the city. They are very beautiful to look at and provide mediocre shade, but what stands out more than anything else is their fruit they produce in Fall.

I do not know what that fruit looks like or tastes like and I never intend to find out because of what it smells like. It smells EXACTLY like dog droppings. So if you are driving along the street with your windows rolled down this curiously strong and powerful odor fills the car rather rapidly and I am amazed at all the many aspects of nature once again.

I wanted to focus more on the miracles this letter (there have been many) but I suppose my comments and thoughts have wondered off once again. We really are seeing a lot of miracles this transfer. I am having a blast in Japan!

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and prayers. I am still going strong!

See y'all next week~