Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Extracted from a letter to the parents

My new companion, Sister S, is a lot of fun. I am immensely enjoying my time with her. She asked me to say, "She is very small" just now. Indeed, she is rather short but not as short as one of my previous companions. Isn't it curious that all my companions have been Japanese thus far, save my trainer (who was originally Japanese but got changed at the last minute)? I swear, Japanese is supposed to be a language I am to master or something.

Being a follow-up trainer is much easier than I thought. Sister S is always cheerful and an utter joy to be with. I am teaching little and learning much.

This area is great. We have some really great investigators along with some really frustrating ones. We have one investigator who agreed to get baptized last lesson, although it may take a while before she is actually prepared. She is now "taking lessons with intent to be baptized," which I say in the same accent as that someone "courts with intent to marry."

We found a park nearby that has a flower museum with exhibits changing very rapidly as various species of flowers come into bloom. Since last week was my P-Day, today is Sister S's P-Day, and she has elected to essentially go to a really cheap/famous/delicious Melon Bread store and then lounge around in our freshly cleaned apartment. I will have to investigate the park next week along with the ENORMOUS rope tower that children are free to climb. That thing would never pass in sue-happy America, but small children happily monkey several dozen feet in the air on a suspended rope tower the shape of the Eiffel Tower. There is a small and not-safe-looking net underneath parts of it to theoretically catch falling children, I
suppose, but it still looks insanely dangerous.

I desperately want to climb it.