Monday, May 31, 2010

Is it seriously June?

Where on earth has this year gone? How can it already be June? Just yesterday I was taking photos in the snow, and now it's June? Wow. That's so crazy.

It wasn't really snowing yesterday although that would have been an awesome lead-in to talk about weird weather.

It HAS been unusually cold lately. Summer, apparently, decided to shove Spring out of the way in order to flash us all with some bright, hot, burning sun somewhere around April, and now Spring is gently sliding back into place and cooling us all with rain, strong winds, and cloudy skies. It's still long-sleeves and raincoat weather here in Chiba.

Not much to report story-wise this week. I climbed a ginormous 3-story tower structure made entirely out of rope this morning. My companion and I spotted it a while ago and I have been aching to climb it ever since. It felt really good to climb something. I haven't been using my hands at all lately. I have a strange urge to take apart my bike and clean it top to bottom while I'm at it...which wouldn't be a bad idea; that bike hasn't been scrubbed since...ever.

The tower, by the way, is constructed of several ropes tightly pulled together into geometric shapes with large stakes pinning the three base corners into the ground and a large central pole to hold it all together in the middle. It looks a little like the base for the Eiffel Tower, and it was a LOT of fun to climb although really scary when you got close to the middle and the ropes started to give under your weight. Needless to say I stayed near the outside.

I got really, really sick last week. As in, we took a taxi home and I sat on my bed and waited to die.

I didn't die, and happily after a few hours I started to feel like it would be okay not to die. I was fine after that.

We are teaching many people, and many people have started to come back to church. They have also dragged their neighbors along with them, which is always great to see. I really do love this area.