Tuesday, September 28, 2010

They would look like children to your eyes

It's true that Asian faces tend to look younger than American faces, and it is difficult to judge age accordingly. This hasn't been a huge problem for me except for occasionally mistaking a middle school student as a high school student (because all high school students look so YOUNG to me). That is, at least, until I saw a TWELVE YEAR OLD driving a car.

She was probably 30-something and that young boy in the car was probably her son, but really? She looked like a preteen! Crazy!

It is true that I have gotten into the habit of adding 5-10 years to everyone's age based on how they look. If they look 12 they are probably 18. If they look 18 then that's probably their kid they are holding and they are married. If they look 40 then they are pretty old.

The only exception to this is smokers, who look their age.

This week has been long and full of rainstorms and flat tires. The best day, I think, was when we went several hours out in a HEAVY rainstorm, got lost and went a further 10 miles out -- up a mountain -- and then on the way back I suddenly got a flat tire. It was already pretty late but we were able to find a garage that was still closing up shop that was able to give me some fresh air. Thank you, garage people!

I always think it's funny that the rainy season is considered June. June of this year did indeed have a fair bit of rain, but it wasn't that bad, really. Coming into Fall I am starting to have some bad flashbacks of my bean area, wherein it rained nearly every day. Fall is the rainy season it seems. At least now the rain is the proper temperature -- cold.

It's finally cooling down! I love Autumn so very much. Summer decided to go out with a bang, giving us one of the hottest summer days possible the day before Fall equinox. The equinox itself was nice and cool, making me regret short sleeves but happy all the same because I LOVE fall weather!

I have finally unearthed my winter clothing. They've been sitting in vacuumed bags inside my suitcase for all summer, but finally they get to start making their debut. It's nice, too, because it feels like I just got a bunch of new clothes since I haven't worn them for so long. I am quite excited to create some new outfits, and once I am sure that summer is gone for good (he keeps trying to sneak in for a few hours) I shall take all of my summer blouses and throw them away. Or burn them. Whichever sounds more fun at the time.

Actually we have marshmallows in the apartment so burning the clothing makes more sense, huh? ;)

Mmm, hot chocolate. I am so excited. I love winter food. The one thing I miss is ginger. Not ginger as in the plant, but ginger as in gingerbread, gingerbread cookies, and gingersnaps. I LOVE gingersnaps but you can't get them here.

That's okay, Japan has some pretty interesting winter food too. It is the season of the hot-pot and the sukiyaki feasts. I am, naturally, enthused, and I have started a small workout program in order to make room on my body for all the meat I am about to eat.

Things are still fun in Kofu. We have actually had some success meeting people while going door-to-door, which is depressingly rare but always nice when it happens. I am looking forward to the rest of this week!

You are all great, and I am still trying to catch up letter-wise. Thanks for being patient! Talk to you again next week!